I recently began leading a team of software developers at Portland State University tasked with creating a C++ library which runs on a tiny DAC to produce realistic instrument sounds via a process called Wavetable Synthesis. This library will be able to take a recorded sample of an actual instrument, and perform various transformations on them to generate different high-quality samples representing different pitches. The idea is that a micro-controller (with very limited on-board memory) will be able to be used as an instrument! The idea is to allow this library to be included in an Arduino project to run not only on this particular DAC we are targeting, but to also allow it to be used in any Arduino-based micro-controller. Stay tuned for more updates as we implement this unique library!
This project is still very much a work in progress, and started just as a random experiment I wanted to try out. Basically, the purpose of this site is to map/parse interesting words (don’t want any filler words like “a” or “the”) in The Bible, and find the number of occurrences for each word, along with the number of times pairs of words occur in the same verse together. When the user clicks on a word, more words that occur most frequently with the selected word are shown, and connections are established between them. This could definitely be useful when studying a passage of scripture, as main themes and relating verses can be quickly and easily found (although semantics and syntax don’t always correlate with each other). I created a C# application to parse through scripture verses (I’ve only ran it through Genesis), and the website is using Sigma.js for the graph charting. If nothing else, it looks really cool and is fun to explore the words in scripture and where they occur most often!
When Pokémon GO first came out, I immediately thought of the need for a map of pokestops/gyms. If you know anything about the game, then you are probably aware that the only way to know for sure if a pokestop is in a particular location is to be within a few hundred meters of it (at least at the time of this post). So, what I was able to do was access their API, and using a Python script, scan large areas of Portland, and write the positions of interest to a SQL Server database. Just as I was extending this functionality to monitor Pokémon locations in real-time, access to the API was blocked. So, no more scanning… However, I still have most of my pokestop location info still saved in my personal SQL database, so I was able to map these with the assistance of Google Maps, and plot them for the world to see (although it will only be useful for those who live in or around Portland).
A link can be found below:
I recently created a photography portfolio website for my girlfriend’s photography business. I leveraged Bootstrap 3.0 along with ASP.NET MVC / C# as the backend to create the website.
One interesting problem I wanted to tackle was how to allow for quick and easy adding of photo-shoot collections so a new page didn’t have to be created every time she wanted to put up a new photo collection. So, the solution I came up with was to allow the C# backend to dynamically create lists of photo locations, and dynamic html creation to display all of the photos that the C# code finds. This allows us to simply add a new directory with photos to the web host if she wants to display a new photo collection on the site!
A link for the website is below:
I recently completed my first android app, Fatty Droid, a simple side-scrolling game intended for use on mobile android devices. I worked on this game for a few months, off and on during my spare time, and learned a ton about the android development process and JAVA in the process! I used the open source JAVA game development library libGDX to aid with sprite rendering. The application description and download can be found here: